In our efforts to support students and provide better tools to faculty and staff, Shoreline has purchased Starfish, a retention-oriented student success software that provides students with targeted interventions and a seamless, intuitive experience. Over 500 colleges and universities nationwide use Starfish, including eleven of the Washington Community & Technical Colleges.
Complementary Advising Tools
Our advising teams’ already inadequate tools will be less functional after the transition to ctcLink. Starfish will fill this gap with a strong suite of case management tools that enable advisors to provide a higher level of service to students than ever before. After multiple product demonstrations and Q&A sessions, both our resident and international advising teams expressed universal enthusiasm for Starfish and are excited to incorporate the tool into their daily work.
Enhancing Student Success
Starfish is a holistic platform that supports student engagement and success. Features include:
- Centralized Student Network: Students who log into Starfish will be greeted with a personalized network of student success professionals
- Predictive Tools: Using predictive analytics, advisors can provide proactive outreach to students who need additional supports
- Coordinated Support: A system of flags and kudos allow advisors to collaboratively provide assistance and positive reinforcement to students
- Centralized Student Information: For the first time, a single record of case notes for each student will be available across departments
- Targeted Communications: With just a few clicks, advisors can send blast messages to specific cohorts of students, including SMS text communications
Integration with Current Tools
Starfish can integrate with the College’s core technology systems including Office 365, ctcLink, and Canvas. Advisors will be able to find the most up-to-date information about a student all in one place: grades, activity, appointments, and case notes will be readily available. The software integrations will be relatively simple to configure, as much of the heavy lifting has already been done by our peer institutions.
Alignment with Guided Pathways
As Shoreline moves into year three of the Guided Pathways project, our tools must be compatible with the Guided Pathways framework. By enabling advisors to provide a more proactive style of service, Starfish supports the key Guided Pathways tenets of helping students choose a path, understand the path, and stay on the path.
During Summer 2021, the Starfish team began planning the implementation project and started work on data integration with the Student Information System, as well as migration of case notes from Adviosor Data Portal. Basic system functionality will be configured throughout Fall term, with the system ready for use by advisors and students midway through Fall 2021.
Throughout the implementation, we will work hard to obtain feedback from the Starfish users to continually improve the tool. There will be meaningful, timely trainings offered throughout the year. Stay tuned for more exciting updates as the project progresses!
Implementation Project Teams
Trainings and informational materials will be provided via a SharePoint site. Check back during Fall term for the link. In the meantime, please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.