Math Faculty

Math Faculty

Faculty Advising

Useful Information for Mathematics Faculty

Your Responsibilities

Resources To Help You

Helping Your Students



1. Your Responsibilities

FERPA: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law to protect student privacy.  The short version: don't make information about a student available to anyone other than that student or an SCC employee with a legitimate need to know.  In addition to protecting students' privacy, keeping information about the location or grades of a student private may also protect their safety.  For loads more details, here's some official information and the Wikipedia entry.  Examples:

  • Don't put a stack of graded quizzes on a desk/outside your office for students to pick theirs up; they'll see their classmates' grades.
  • If a parent calls/visits you, you can give general information about the class, but you can't say anything about the student - don't even confirm that s/he is in your class.  The only exception is if the student has a signed waiver on file with the college - contact the Enrollment Services Program Manager to make sure before giving any information.  While the law allows information to be given to parents of students under 18, college policy still requires a waiver from the student.
  • Shoreline requires us to use students' college-assigned e-mail accounts ( for all official communication with students, including messages about grades, payments, financial aid and other assistance, emergency and other notifications, Canvas, etc.  If a student emails you from a non-Shoreline email account, reply asking them to email you from their Shoreline email account or talk to you on campus.  Doing so improves the chances of receiving student messages (i.e. they're less likely to get filtered out as spam) and helps protect student privacy.

Office Hours: Faculty are required to hold office hours for a minimum of 1/3 hour (meaning a 50-minute "academic hour") per week per credit taught (e.g. about 1.5 actual hours if you're teaching one 5 credit class, or 3 actual hours for 10 credits). Post your office hours schedule on your office door using the form emailed to the division each quarter, and send the information to the Division Secretary. Inform the Division Secretary if you are going to miss some office hours. If you miss office hours without taking leave (e.g. sick leave or professional leave), the time must be rescheduled, and the rescheduled time should be included when you contact the Division Secretary.


Syllabi: Syllabi are required by the College for all credit courses.  Please read Policy 6100 for instruction on syllabus content.  If possible, post your syllabi online instead of printing a copy for every student to reduce the department's printing costs.


Missing Work:

  • Sick Day/Emergency: If you need to miss work due to illness or an emergency, contact the Division Secretary at (206) 546-4534 as early as possible so that a cancellation notice can be posted on the classroom door.  If you're using Canvas or have another course website, post an announcement and/or send an email to the class; some students only come campus for one class, so they'll appreciate advanced notice of cancellations.
  • Personal Day: You are allowed to miss work for one Personal Day per quarter, if approved in advance (see Paperwork, below).  It is deducted from your Sick Leave balance.
  • Professional Leave: You may miss work for professional activities (e.g. to attend a conference) if approved in advance (see Paperwork, below).  If you want to be reimbursed for travel or hotel costs out of professional development funds, talk to the Division Secretary.
  • Paperwork: If you miss work for any reason, including professional development, fill out the Faculty Report of Leave form at (under Human Resources --> Leave) and submit it to the Division Secretary.  There's a second document listed above it with instructions on filling out the form.  If you plan to miss work for a personal day or professional leave, the form must be filled out in advance and submitted with a note about what your class will be doing instead (e.g. a substitute, a take-home worksheet, etc.) and signed by the dean prior to taking leave.  If you are out sick, fill out the form when you return to work.


Class Rosters/Assigning Grades: You may view your class roster online at any time via Instructor Briefcase. See human resources for an ID number and pin.  Towards the beginning of the quarter, use the roster to make sure that all of the students attending your class have registered.  At the end of the quarter, you'll input your grades on Instructor Briefcase.


Grading: Instructors may report grades from 0.7 to 4.0 in 0.1 increments, and the grade 0.0. Grades from 0.1 to 0.6 may not be assigned. Decimal grades may be considered equivalent to letter grades as follows:

4.0 - 3.9 A 2.8 - 2.5 B- 1.4 - 1.2 D+
3.8 - 3.5 A- 2.4 - 2.2 C+ 1.1 - 0.9 D
3.4 - 3.2 B+ 2.1 - 1.9 C 0.8 - 0.7 D-
3.1 - 2.9 B 1.8 - 1.5 C- 0.0 F


The following letter grade symbols are also used:

H Hold W Official withdrawal
I Incomplete V Unofficial withdrawal
N Audit Z Hardship withdrawal
P Pass NC No Credit


Explanations of these grades, to help you determine when to use them, can be found in Policy 6260.


Most math courses have student option grading. This means that students will be assigned a grade point at the end of the quarter, or they may choose to be graded on the Pass/0.0 or Pass/No Credit scales. If your course is numbered above 100, students who choose the alternate grading must submit a Pass-Option form, signed by their instructor, to the registration desk no later than the end of the day at the midpoint of the quarter. If your course is numbered below 100, students may change to P/0.0 or P/NC grading at any time up through the last day of instruction. Rather than turning in a form to registration, they should make the request to you in writing.


Use of State Resources: Teaching for SCC means you're a state employee, and resources provided by SCC (including office phones, computers, and your SCC email account) are considered state resources.  As such, they are to be used primarily for your SCC work.  Personal uses, such as a phone call for a non-work reason, are only allowed if such use is brief, infrequent, not for an activity from which you profit, not disruptive of any SCC work, and other state guidelines.  Your emails through your SCC account are public record - that doesn't mean that the public can view them, but they could be subpoenaed if necessary (though this is extremely rare - but for your protection and to follow the law, use a non-SCC email account for non-work emails).


Using Campus Phones: To make on-campus calls, just dial the 4-digit extension.  To make a local off-campus call, dial 9 for an outside dial tone and complete the call as usual.  For work-related long distance calls, contact the Division Secretary to get a SCAN code.


Waitlists/Overloads:  If your class is full, a waitlist will be in effect for the first three days.  Any time an enrolled student drops, the student at the top of the waitlist will automatically be enrolled.  If the class is full and students ask to be added to your class, it's your decision whether or not you want to overload your class.  If you decide to do so, some considerations: (1) If the waitlist is in effect, make sure you take students in the order that they're waitlisted. (2) Ask students who are not waitlisted to get on the waitlist instead of signing them in ahead of waitlisted students. (3) Use the gold half-page overload form in addition to the white schedule change form. (4) If students ask to be signed in after the waitlist period ends, make sure they've met the prerequisites before signing the form.


Final Exam Scheduling: To make sure the final exam for your class doesn't conflict with your students' other finals, the exam must be given at the time indicated on the final exam schedule in your usual classroom.  Giving the final at any other time requires approval from the Dean.


Smoking Policy: Smoking on College grounds is permitted only in designated areas.


Resources To Help You

Textbooks and Online Homework: The math department has chosen the texts we use for each course we offer. To get a copy of the assigned text for your course, see the department chair.  You may wish to use an online homework system such as WAMAP, Math XL, or Enhanced Web Assign in one of your classes; for more information on this, please speak to the Department Chair.


Safety and Security: For emergencies, using a campus phone, dial 4499 or make an outside call to 911 (9-911), or send a student who knows the nature of the problem and the room number to make the call. For non-emergencies, dial 4633. For weekend and after-hours facility matters, call the Safety and Security Pager number 969-8723.  If you're on campus at night, you might want to put these numbers in your cell phone.


Student Conduct Issues: For issues with students that are beyond minor issues you can quickly resolve (i.e., beyond, say, students who chat during class but cease when asked), contact the appropriate authority.  In some cases, it may be appropriate to contact more than one person.  In addition to taking the problem out of your hands, contacting authorities allows the college to keep records on student issues and adapt their response if there is a second or third offense reported by other faculty.

  • Cheating/Academic Dishonesty: Contact the Dean of Student Services
  • Moderate classroom disruption (beyond your control): Contact the Dean of the Math and Science Division
  • Severe classroom disruptions, physical threats/violence, illegal activities, issues putting one or more of your students in danger (e.g. a student tells you they believe they are being stalked or have been abused by another SCC student), or other behaviors that impede you from finishing class and/or pose a threat to you or your students: Contact the Safety and Security office.  If you perceive that something dangerous is about to occur, also call 911 (if using a campus phone, dial 9-911).
  • If you're not sure who to contact, or whether to report the issue at all, ask the Department Chair or Dean for advice.

Math Faculty Canvas Classroom: Math faculty members have access to our online Canvas "classroom".  Lots of helpful information can be found here, including minutes from math department meetings, information about our courses, Course Information Letters (see below), and a few shared teaching materials.  To log into the "classroom", go to and log in.  Once logged in, you should see our classroom (Master Department Math Faculty) listed as one of the courses you are taking. Just click on its name and start exploring! If you don't see it, contact the Department Chair.


Course Information Letters: Make sure you get the Course Information Letter for every course you teach - it tells you exactly which textbook sections to cover, and other guidelines.  Course Information Letters, and a related document, the Master Course Outlines, are among the most important resources on the Math Faculty Canvas site, though you can also request them from the Department Chair.  Be sure to look at both before teaching a course for the first time.


Supplies: Need a pen or whiteboard marker?  They and other supplies can be found in the workroom 2800 building, or in the Information Office (5390) on the third floor of FOSS.  If you can't find what you're looking for, ask a secretary.


Important Dates: It helps to be aware of Important Dates such as the last day that students can withdraw with a W grade.  Check out the Shoreline calendar for that information and all sorts of other ongoings; there are links in the left-hand column to the academic calendars, which show dates of instruction, holidays, and when grades are due.


College Communications:

  • Intranet--A website for college employees with a variety of useful links, including Instructor Briefcase (to find rosters), Earnings and Leave (to find pay stub information and leave balances), Forms (to find most of your SCC paperwork needs), Calendars, and the Phone Book. 
  • College Web Site--A website mainly for current and potential students. The web site includes an online version of the catalog and class schedule, as well as online services including registration and advising. The web site can be accessed at  Along with the search box, there is an A to Z Index to help you find what you're looking for.
  • Faculty List Serve--All sorts of announcements, including important changes in policy, announcements about events, etc., are distributed via the faculty listserve. To subscribe, go to
  • Shoreline Today is emailed daily to current students. If you wish to make a submission to promote a class, event or other student-related news, contact the Public Information Office.
  • Day at Glance contains need-to-know information for all classes of employees. This is emailed to employees daily.

Faculty Bargaining Agent: The exclusive bargaining representative for all faculty is the Shoreline Community College Federation of Teachers (SCCFT), which is affiliated with the WFT/AFT/AFL-CIO.  Every academic employee has the right to join and support the Federation, to engage in collective bargaining, negotiation, and other activities related to employment as a faculty member at Shoreline.  Dues are deducted from your paycheck whether or not you join, since you are affected by the work of SCCFT.  For further information about Federation membership, contact the Federation office (ext. 4535) or the Federation President.


Helping Your Students

Student Access to Textbooks and Calculators: Most SCC Math classes require a textbook, and some require a graphing calculator.  If a student tells you they can't afford one of these materials, here are some resources you can tell them about:

  • Current textbooks are on reserve in the library
  • Current textbooks are available for use in the Math Learning Center (they may not be taken out of the MLC)
  • Calculators may be rented from the bookstore for $20 per quarter plus tax
  • The bookstore has a textbook rental program, though the only math texts they currently rent out are for Calculus and Business Calculus.  (Interested students in other math courses should check to see if more books have been added since this was written.)
  • Students who are waiting for Financial Aid checks can apply for a short-term loan to buy materials sooner.  Information about this is available through the Multicultural Center.
  • The Math Learning Center has calculators that may be used in the room or taken for one day (not recommended as a solution for students in courses requiring regular calculator use, as the supply is limited)

Resources to help students: In addition to the textbook and your office hours, SCC students have several other resources for help, some of which they might not know about.

  • Make sure all of your students know about the Math Learning Center, where they can drop in for problem-by-problem assistance.  (The MLC does not, however, provide longer tutoring sessions, or instruction to replace missed classes.)  The MLC also has textbooks, solution manuals, computers, and calculators for student use.  If you assign paper-and-pencil homework, be aware that most solutions manuals in the MLC include answers to all textbook problems.  Check out the MLC website for more information on ways both students and faculty can use the MLC.  For further information, feel free to contact the Director.
  • Transfer or Prof-Tech students needing more intensive help than the MLC can provide may request two free hours of one-on-one tutoring per week through the Tutoring Office.
  • Here are more great resources you might want to recommend to students, depending on their situations

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities: You'll receive notification from the Office of Student Services if there is a student in your class who is approved to receive accommodations for a disability, and what accommodations they may receive.  If a student requests any other accommodation, direct the student to request it through OSS.


Assessment and Placement: In order to take a math class above MATH 060 (Basic Math) at SCC, a student must meet the prerequisite, usually an appropriate score on the COMPASS placement test, a 2.0 or better in the previous math class, or instructor permission.  It's common for students to come to you the first few days of the quarter asking to add your class with a registration form for you to sign.  If they aren't on the waitlist, their prerequisites haven't been checked, so make sure they've met the prerequisite before signing them in since your signature allows them to get into the course.  The simplest way to verify a prerequisite is to ask them to bring you a copy of their COMPASS scores or a transcript with their previous math class.  You can find a link to the Placement Chart with COMPASS cut-off scores on this prerequisites page.  If you are not sure whether or not a student has met a prerequisite, send them to a math advisor (any full time math faculty member or the Math Learning Center Director) or have them email .



Closure of College: When it snows, the College will not be closed as long as campus parking lots, roadways, and walks can be kept open.  If the college does close due to snow or other emergencies, the College President or a designated representative may cancel classes and close the college. Announcements will be made over select radio and television stations, including KING, KIRO and KOMO, online at SCC's main website and the Intranet, as well as on all staff telephones via the voicemail system.  Conditions might be worse at SCC than near your home - if you see any snow at all, check the college website before heading to work.


Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance: To be eligible for state-paid healthcare/insurance benefits, you must have a .50 FTE (full-time equivalency) or higher appointment for two consecutive quarters. That means teaching at least 7.5 credits. Spring and fall are allowed to be considered consecutive quarters. Eligibility begins at the start of the second consecutive quarter. You may also become eligible for these benefits if you combine teaching employment at more than one state college to equal .50 FTE. Contact human resources at ext. 4769 for more information.


Everything Else: Yeah, there's a lot to know.  If you have further questions or want advice, the Department Chair and the Division Secretary are two great resources.  Other math faculty members are also happy to help.