Hazardous Materials Leaks/Spills
(Flammable, Toxic, Corrosive, Oxygenic, Cryogenic)
If a gas cylinder or other chemical container should begin leaking, and if, in the judgment of the persons responsible, such materials present any danger to them or the other building occupants, the following steps should be taken:
1. Confine the smoke/fumes or fire by shutting the room door.
2. Sound the building fire alarm so evacuation can begin.
3. Call the Campus Emergency Number at Ext. 4499, or the Safety and Security Department at Ext. 4633, or dial 9-911 giving your name, department, and location of the emergency.
4. Evacuate to a safe area away from the building. Do not return to the building until instructed that it is safe to do so.
5. Suspected gas leaks or suspicious odors should also be reported to the Campus Emergency Number at Ext. 4499, or the Safety and Security Department at Ext. 4633, or dial 9-911 so that appropriate action can be taken.
6. Alarm Signals:
If a hazardous material comes into contact with your skin or eyes, flush the area of contact immediately with water for at least 15 minutes. Notify the Safety and Security Department at Ext. 4499 or Ext. 4633 .